lowering a coupe guide

Questions and answers on steering, suspension, bush replacement, wheels, tyres and much more

Moderator: The ///Moderating Team

nwmlarge

lowering a coupe guide

Post by nwmlarge » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 pm

right yesterday was the day of lowering so i have prepared a number of pics also including how to do it or at least pointers.

Front at stock height

Rear stock height

Whole car stock height

Unclip all your brake lines from the strut before going any further.

this shows you the brake sensor connector unplugged the black cover clips off and the grey bit slides down.

18mm bolt to undo

and another the otherside of the hub i found it easier to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to get access to the bolts.

undo the three 13mm nuts holding the top mount in place.

bolts all removed from the holes now being held in by the upper hub bolt and the locating lug(worth wire brushing the lug before replacing)

18mm nut and bolt in the upper hub postion shown here removed.

upper shock mount hole with shock removed is worth cleaning the area upand a light smear of grease.

this is my shock model number doesn't look like original equipment

this top nut is a recessed 22mm my advice is to get this buzzed undone and back up with an air tool as i couldn't find a way of doing it otherwise.

Both shocks off before trip to Mr Clutch.

£20 later both springs changed using the biggest spring clamps i've ever seen.

Refitting is the reverse of above i found it easy to get the bolts aligned by jacking the hub as i was lining up the strut.
i also finger tightened the top three nuts before fitting the strut to the hub.

This is the 18mm bolt holding the lower rear strut

This is the rear spring fitted in place. I got a mate to stand on the hub and i levered them out with a crow bar and back in by hand.

Front lowered.

overall car lowered

Rear lowered.

All in all about 2.5hrs work not including trapsing up and down to mr clutch.

The car is now fitted with Kayaba 30F - 20R springs I paid £39.90 delivered from a random on ebay.

The car feels much better more planted and so easy to control slides.

I would say as long as you have a garage nearby to sort the top nuts out then you would be a fool to pay someone to do this its very easy.