Getting to know your tyres

Questions and answers on steering, suspension, bush replacement, wheels, tyres and much more

Moderator: The ///Moderating Team

Jhonno

Re: Getting to know your tyres

Post by Jhonno » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:32 am

Pilot 2's..

Or Conti's

Dan-Fro
Drives: 318is

Post by Dan-Fro » Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 pm

My new wheels will be arriving shortly and i will most probably need to buy new tyres for them before fitting them. Sooo... The point of this post is to suggest that people could post pictures of their wheels and tyres (stating the info of the tyres...width, aspect ratio etc) along with the diameter and width of their wheels. This would be useful for people to visualise how different size tyres fit different width wheels. I'm curious to see different width/aspect ratio tyres fitted to 17"x7.5J wheels. I hope you will agree this could be worthwhile? :roll: Dan.

superboyg

Post by superboyg » Thu May 22, 2008 9:13 am

Using Toyo R888, way perfect on dry road, turn hard in corner and it holds the car very well.
Before R888 was using AD07, way sporty and limit of it is very high, anyway is not for wet road.
And before is S03, very average tyre both on wet and dry.

Nukem
Drives: e36 318is

Post by Nukem » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:02 am

I bought before 2 weeks Barum Bravuris 2 225/50/16 , handling, stability and on dry roads are great! :D
Last edited by JohnW on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sig pic too big

BillyM3
Drives: e46 m3 smg coupe

Post by BillyM3 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Nukem wrote:I bought before 2 weeks Barum Bravuris 2 225/50/16 , handling, stability and on dry roads are great! :D
x2 the good thing about them is that i do 55miles a day in my 328i sport, and they are good value for money. Barum Bravuris for the win.

Tommy
Drives: M135i

Post by Tommy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:22 am

Liquid
Thanks for the informative post. I have some questions please..

When buying tyres IÔÇÖve always noticed the load index but never paid it great attention since the tyre retailers usually stock 89-94 tyres which covers most cars. However, what is structurally different between tyres of a different load index? I am assuming a 94 tyre is stronger and therefore heavier than a 89 tyre ergo fitting a 94 tyre when you donÔÇÖt need it introduces unnecessary weight and, possibly, an overstiff sidewall for the weight of car.

When BMW provide PS2ÔÇÖs as original equipment for the M3, do they specify the load index? Further, should the load index be matched to the real weight on the axle rather than simply dividing the weight of the car by four?

Thanks in advance ;)
Current: M135i

Past:
E46 M3,
130i M Sport, 328M race car, M3 Evo

Liquid
Site Contributor
Drives: A B10 and a B3

Post by Liquid » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:34 pm

[quote="tl"]Liquid
Thanks for the informative post. I have some questions please..

When buying tyres IÔÇÖve always noticed the load index but never paid it great attention since the tyre retailers usually stock 89-94 tyres which covers most cars. However, what is structurally different between tyres of a different load index? I am assuming a 94 tyre is stronger and therefore heavier than a 89 tyre ergo fitting a 94 tyre when you donÔÇÖt need it introduces unnecessary weight and, possibly, an overstiff sidewall for the weight of car.

When BMW provide PS2ÔÇÖs as original equipment for the M3, do they specify the load index? Further, should the load index be matched to the real weight on the axle rather than simply dividing the weight of the car by four?

Thanks in advance ;)[/quote

No worries. :D

Tyres that have higher load ratings (and speed ratings in some instances) will have a slightly different structure to those of a lower rating. Depending on the application of the tyre, this could be more layers in the cords (rayon/nylon) or a strengthened/widened belt pack that either had increased windings and/or thicker gauge steel.

The weight difference will be negligible - particularly when you consider the benefits of a stronger tyre that is less susceptible to change shape at speed and a stiffer sidewall that will usually promote stability under hard cornering which can also be 'tuned' by experimenting with pressures.

BMW will have a whole range of tyres to test with when it comes to developing a package for their cars. Not many people realise it, but it is the manufacturer that specifies the loading and the tyre pressures needed for the tyres that are to be fitted to their cars.
Load ratings are a whole lot more than matching tyres for an absolute load. As you can appreciate, weight transfer is probably the biggest dynamic influence on a tyre. It's no good having a 2 tonne car with 50/50 a 500kg load rating on each tyre when you can drive the car hard right-hander and generate (for agument sake) upto 1000kg on the front left tyre. This sort of influenece, plus accelerative forces etc are all taken into account in order to determine the best tyre for that particular vehicle and application.
You will normally find that load indexes will differ between front and rear axles on most performance cars or those with a staggered rim fitment. Pressures can also make a diference with the same load rating on tyres for certain axles. It's a bit of a nightmare for the development side of things as there are so many variables.

Hope that sheds a little more light on things for you.
Go tell that long tongue liar. Go and tell that midnight rider. Tell the rambler, the gambler, the back biter.
Tell 'em that God's gonna cut you down.

Gibson
Drives: E36 343 V8 Coupe

Post by Gibson » Mon May 25, 2009 1:19 pm

Spot on! im bookmarking this

djmp23
Drives: 2 japs,2 germ :D

Post by djmp23 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:12 pm

amazing read up very impressed :)

I thought id post this in here as I just came acros it and feel its the perfect thread for such a link :)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/