LSD FAQ HTH

Questions and answers on steering, suspension, bush replacement, wheels, tyres and much more

Moderator: The ///Moderating Team

Sundayjumper
Drives: 316i Compact

LSD FAQ HTH

Post by Sundayjumper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm getting right hacked off at the number of people who can't use the search function so I've put together a short Q&A.

Has my car got LSD ?

Probably not. The only E36 models to have it as standard are all of the M3s, and the pre-facelift 328i Sport. Post-facelift 328i Sports have traction control and no LSD. No other models had it as standard.

But it was on the options list, so my car might have it, right ?

Still unlikely. It was an expensive option and VERY rare to be factory fitted.

It is, however, possible that somebody has retro-fitted one. Simple way to check is to jack the whole back end of the car off the ground, handbrake off, but leave it in gear. Try to turn one rear wheel by hand. If it turns easily and the other wheel spins in the opposite direction, you do not have an LSD. If it's hard to turn then you do.

Can I fit an LSD to my car ?

If you have a six-pot E36 then yes, and it's very easy. You need the diff from a 3.0 M3. That's all. Input & output flanges from your old diff need to be swapped onto the new one. It's all plug 'n' play.

If you have a four-pot, sell it and buy a proper E36 ;)

Can I use the diff from an Evo ?

Nowhere near as easy. You'll need the entire rear axle assembly from the Evo and there will be propshaft issues when mating it up to your gearbox. Save yourself the hassle and get a diff from a 3.0 M3.

How much faster is it ?

Standard ratio on a manual 323/328 is 2.93:1. The 3.0 M3 is 3.15:1. This means your engine will be turning appx. 7.5% faster at any given road speed. This is noticable but not too intrusive (IMO).

Will the speedo still work?

Yes.

You're wrong - I've got a 328i Sport and it doesn't have an LSD.

There is a difference between a 328i Sport and a 328i with sport pack. The 328i Sport was a model in its own right, will say "Sport" on the logbook, and for pre-facelift, will have an LSD. The "sport pack" was available as an option on all E36 models and mainly consisted of bodykit & sports seats. It didn't include an LSD. They don't say "Sport" on the logbook. Cars with sport pack are often described as - and even believed by their owners to be - a Sport, but they're not the same thing.

Minor exception to this is the run-out (1998/9) of Sport Tourings. These say "Sport Touring" on the logbook, but do not have LSD as standard.

Steve.
Last edited by Sundayjumper on Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Lacks Imagination"

JM3
///Moderating Team
Drives: '01 e39 530i Sport

Post by JM3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Yep, good post. So many people want to be sideways in the e36 at the minute, thanks to the price and 'Tokyo Drift'.

One other thing to note is that not all pre-facelift 328 Sports had it as standard. From the years of being here there is no definitive answer. It is usually said that if you have an early 328 sport then you 'probably' have one.

Second hand diff prices are going up of late. I retrofitted a 328 LSD to my old 328 and paid £200 for it and fitted it myself. It also came with the whole axle, driveshafts, abs sensors etc. They sometimes go for near £500 these days for the diff alone.
2006 330D MSport Touring
2002 330D Msport Touring - SOLD
2001 530ia Sport - SOLD
1998 M3 Evo Coupe - SOLD
1997 Modified 328i Coupe - SOLD
2001 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
http://www.jpayne.co.uk

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:48 pm

JM3 wrote:One other thing to note is that not all pre-facelift 328 Sports had it as standard.
My original 323i/328i brochure says otherwise :)

Steve.
"Lacks Imagination"

samj
Drives: 2002 E46 M3

Post by samj » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:49 pm

JM3 wrote:Yep, good post. So many people want to be sideways in the e36 at the minute, thanks to the price and 'Tokyo Drift'.

One other thing to note is that not all pre-facelift 328 Sports had it as standard. From the years of being here there is no definitive answer. It is usually said that if you have an early 328 sport then you 'probably' have one.

Second hand diff prices are going up of late. I retrofitted a 328 LSD to my old 328 and paid £200 for it and fitted it myself. It also came with the whole axle, driveshafts, abs sensors etc. They sometimes go for near £500 these days for the diff alone.
Yep definately going up!! I paid £275 for my 3.0l M3 around a month ago - and that was the cheapest I could find!!

Also + 1 on doing this post - really needed saying as it is gettinf a bit boring now!!

Iain
///Moderator
///Moderator
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, AMG

Post by Iain » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:15 pm

re: can i use the evo one.

from speaking to russ @ m3spares.com he was saying that you dont need to change the prop.

the evo prop is shorter to account for the 6 speed box, not to account for the difference in diff size, therfore if you were to change the carrier etc your existing rop should be the correct length. having said that its probably only really viable to do this to the 3.0 m3 as you will still require a 6 bolt input and i doubt that the input cuff on the large case is interchangable with that of a med case.

a small advantage could be had if the entire rear was swapped as later evo's came with tubular half-shafts which were both lighter and stronger, additionaly an entire evo rear axle is probably cheaper that a decent med case lsd.l
Click for the e30 M3 daily Click image for the M3 Track Shed journal - 27-01-13 splash of paint

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Sundayjumper wrote:My original 323i/328i brochure says otherwise :)
Just to explanificate a little, and I think this is where the confusion JM3 referred to originates, there is a difference between a 328i Sport and a 328i with sport pack. The 328i Sport was a model in its own right, will say "Sport" on the logbook, and for pre-facelift, will have an LSD. The "sport pack" was available as an option on all E36 models and mainly consisted of bodykit & sports seats. It didn't include an LSD. They don't say "Sport" on the logbook.

Cars with sport pack are often described as - and even believed by their owners to be - a Sport. Not the same thing :)

Steve.
"Lacks Imagination"

Kul
E///MPowered
E///MPowered
Drives: e30 M3 / F31 320d
PSN / XBOX Tag: PSN: a7kul

Post by Kul » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:33 pm

Also if you jack up the rear whilst in neutral and spin one wheel, if both turn in the same direction =LSD :D , if the spin in opposite directions = Open Diff :?
"The only M car that was actually a direct product of racing."
E30 M3; Race car first, road car second.

bmw318i

Post by bmw318i » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:53 pm

howdy - just curious whether the diffs can be swapped over with no probs...?

http://www.e36coupe.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... hlight=lsd

From T1000 - check the 3rd paragraph down or so... is this information incorrect?

Wanting to be sure, T1000 knows his 328s'

Regards

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:08 pm

bmw318i wrote:Wanting to be sure, T1000 knows his 328s'
T1000 is indeed wrong there - not sure how that's happened.

3.0 M3 diff is a straight swap (flanges aside) for a stock 323/328 item. I've done it myself.

Steve.
"Lacks Imagination"

Codarsnacht
Site Contributor
Drives: e36 318is

Post by Codarsnacht » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Rather than posting another thread il post it here.

I want to fit an LSD to my 318is, and NO, getting rid of it and buying a "real" e36 would be completely stupid.

Afaik the 4 pot e36s have a small case diff, the 320/325/328 and m3 etc have a medium size case diff and the m3 evo has the large case diff.
Would i have to swap over the diff case and all the associated stuff in order to fit the LSD?
Click the picture for a link to my journal :D

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:57 pm

RouteZeroDesign wrote:I want to fit an LSD to my 318is...
You want a fast, painless solution ? Get rid of it and buy a 328.

Two main reasons. First, matching an M3 diff to a 318 gearbox is not easy. You need the M3 diff of course, plus the whole back end from a 320/325/323/328, and almost certainly a custom propshaft. Then once it's in, your engine hasn't got the torque to pull it off anyway. The 318 is very low geared to compensate for the lack of torque - swapping in a 3.0 diff will raise your gearing about 10%. So basically it'll make your car slower. Completely stupid really.

True, you can mess about with the ratios if you want to start stripping diffs apart and searching for obsure components in scrapyeards, but seeing as a 328 is under £2k now you may as well sell the 318, buy a 328 and get a free 50bhp boost into the bargain. You won't get a 318 up that level without serious money.

Steve.
"Lacks Imagination"

Codarsnacht
Site Contributor
Drives: e36 318is

Post by Codarsnacht » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, i think i might have to go for the final option though, afaik the diff in my 318is is 4.10:1 so it will need a serious amount of brain and ball scratching to figure out how to get an m3 diff to match this ratio.
i might even look to see if the diff from another rwd car will fit, such as from an s14 silvia.

Getting rid of the car really isnt an option for me, ive plowed to much money into it already and to be honest i love it : D.
Apart from the higher insurance and lower mpg the reason i bought the 318is was the weight.
My main goal for the car is to try demonstrate how light you can make an e36 without going trackcar silly, and getting rid of two cylinders saved a huge amount of weight over the front wheels.

Thanks for your help anyway mate, im off to spend a few hours on google.

Il post any info i get!
Click the picture for a link to my journal :D

caboosemoose

Post by caboosemoose » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:05 am

Regards finding out whether you car has an LSD, wouldn't it be a bit easier to just jack up one rear wheel, release the hand brake and try to turn the wheel. With the opposite rear wheel grounded, an open diff will turn, an LSD will lock up, no?

Also, just like to say that I believe Quaife will do an LSD for a 328 for about £600 brand new. Given the silly money knackered old LSDs from M3s and 328s often go for, worth a look at least.

mattb
Drives: Porsche 996 C4

Post by mattb » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 am

caboosemoose wrote:Also, just like to say that I believe Quaife will do an LSD for a 328 for about £600 brand new. Given the silly money knackered old LSDs from M3s and 328s often go for, worth a look at least.
The Quaife ATB diffs arent exactly the same as an LSD are they? Although they do the same 99/100.

caboosemoose

Post by caboosemoose » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Agreed, I think quaife is not the best choice for drifting, but good for everything else, well that's what I understand.